PLASTIC APPLICATIONS AND OUTLETS
Appropriately selected WAXOLINE® polymer-soluble dyes give excellent all-round performance in: PS (Polystyrene), SAN, ABS, PMMA, PC, PETP and PETB, POM, unplasticised PVC and PPO. WAXOLINE® solvent dyes contribute resistances (strengths) against different phenomena that affect dye’s performance.
- Light fastness: persistence of a colour after having received a certain amount of UV radiation.
- Chemical fastness: colour resistance in chemically aggressive environments (acidic or basic).
- Heat fastness: colour resistance to temperature, mainly during processing.
- Migration fastness: migration of pigment.
SAN (Acrylonitrile styrene)
What is the Acrylonitrile styrene?
SAN, the predecessor of ABS, is a hard rigid transparent material.
SAN is highly transparent and has a beautiful glossy finish. The additional scratch resistance makes it a suitable choice for point-of-sale displays and cosmetic items.
The usual content of acrylonitrile in the SAN composition is between 20 and 30%, while the rest is occupied by styrene. Due to its molecular structure, SAN is slightly yellow and loses transparency with injection molding.
What are the physicochemical properties of SAN (Acrylonitrile styrene)?
- High transparency
- Chemical resistance
- High rigidity
- High surface hardness
- Plastically deformable
- Density: 1.08 gr/cm3.
What is SAN Acrylonitrile styrene used for?
Used in general purpose polystyrene applications, where additional chemical resistance and slightly higher temperature resistance is needed.
SAN is used in parts such as: electronic lenses, automotive instrument lenses, dust covers, household appliances, glasses, toothbrush bodies, industrial battery covers, marine and panel instruments…
What are the advantages of SAN (Acrylonitrile styrene)?
- Is transparent, amorphous in structure and easily processed
- Has better impact and tensile and flexural properties than styrene homopolymers (characteristics provided by acrylonitrile)
- It is resistant to oils, greases, formaldehyde, gasoline, and hydrochloric acid
- It is not chemically attacked by water
- has a high surface gloss
- It has very low water absorption
- Low manufacturing cost and easy processing
- High stiffness
- Very good thermal resistance